Recipe for Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Featured Recipe from Gather Together: Recipes and Reflections to Inspire Faith and Friendship Around the Table (Ave Maria Press, 2020)
BEST-EVER CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
Serves 8–10 Ingredients
8 tablespoons of butter, extra soft
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
Tools You’ll Need
Large mixing bowl
Small microwave-safe bowl
Handheld or electric stand mixer
How to Make It
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix (and sift, if possible) flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. Depending on how soft your butter is, microwave in a small microwave-safe bowl for between 15 and 30 seconds. The butter should be almost completely melted, but do not let it reach hot liquid form. If that happens, save the hot butter for another use (you can let it solidify again in the fridge) and start over.
5. Using a handheld or electric stand mixer, beat the butter and both sugars on medium until just combined.
6. Incorporate the vanilla and egg on a low speed until just combined.
7. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and beat on low until just combined.
8. Stir in the chocolate chunks (or chips) with a wooden spoon.
9. Form dough into 8–10 balls, and place on your prepared baking sheet.
10. Bake for 10–12 minutes. The cookies will be pale and puffy even when they are done.
11. Cool for 10 minutes (if people can wait that long!).
REVIEWS FOR GATHER TOGETHER
“Gather Together encourages me as a priest and chef. It shows that more people are understanding the power of food and how it can heal, strengthen, and nourish what is most important about the food—namely, the people we serve. It’s my hope that this book becomes another recipe book, not just for a meal but a recipe to follow on Christ’s commandment to love one another.” --Rev. Leo E. Patalinghug, International speaker, author, and creator of the Food and Faith Movement “Catherine Fowler Sample serves up story after story highlighting the blessed necessity of gathering around the table and removes virtually every obstacle to it by providing twelve full-blown menus with easy-to-follow recipes. Each chapter offers you bite-sized spiritual morsels that will whet your appetite for more of God and for more connection with those you love around the table.” --Jeff Young, Founder and producer of The Catholic Foodie blog and podcast “Gather Together warmly celebrates the reality that nurturing our souls in community is as necessary as nourishing our bodies at mealtime. The menus of good food and thoughtful reflections Catherine Fowler Sample has crafted are a much-needed invitation to reenter into the intimacy we humans crave. Her recipes are written as a warm, approachable invitation to make good use of the gifts we’ve been given, and her stories draw us into a modern take on an age-old truth: to gather as a community is essential, to be together in the Lord is to thrive. The book is intentional, purposeful, and fruitful in more ways than one.” --Lindsay Schlegel, Author of Don’t Forget to Say Thank You “As someone who has only recently fallen in love with time in the kitchen, Gather Together has been the perfect book to inspire cooking adventures and to make time and room for people to join us for dinner parties. I love this book because it’s filled with wonderful stories, easy and delicious recipes, and the perfect template for how to build friendships and community around a good meal. Grab your apron, fire up the oven, and get to cooking: people are coming over and Gather Together will help you prepare! ” --Katie Prejean McGrady, International Catholic speaker, author, and host of the Ave Explores podcast